The extent of water damage cleanup is dependent on the extent of the damage to your home or business. The severity of the damage also gives us a better idea of how long restoration services will take.
If you have severe damage that requires more extensive clean-up services or a large area to clean, it can take as long as a month to properly clean the areas of your home or business. The first step is drying the entire area out, which can take 1-3 days time on its own. After that, the restoration services begin which can take a week or more.
Again, this is all dependent on how big the affected area is, and how much damage the area has sustained. To give you a better idea of how long water damage restoration services take, read our guide to learn more.
Common Causes of Water Damage
There are a few common causes of water damage to your home or business. These are the common causes that we see most often.
- Burst pipes: This can cause a huge headache, especially if the burst pipes go undetected for any period of time. Burst pipes usually happen in colder weather, but worn or corroded pipes can burst at any time.
- Broken appliances: If your refrigerator, dishwasher, or washer is broken it can cause water damage to your home or business. Systems like this that use water can leak if they are broken, causing a lot of water damage. If you think one of these appliances might be broken, get it replaced or repaired immediately before irreparable water damage occurs.
- Blocked drains or gutters: Drains or gutters that are backed up can create water buildup and lead to damage that needs to be restored. Be sure to keep all your drains and gutters free of debris.
- Natural disaster: As residents and business owners in Florida know, heavy winds and rain from hurricanes can cause a lot of damage. It can be nearly impossible to prevent damage from a natural disaster, but boarding up the vulnerable areas of your home or business can help in mitigating the damage.
- Leaks: If you suspect a leak in your home, call today for our emergency restoration services. We will use our Leak Detection Services to locate the source of the leak and stop it immediately.
Now that you know the most common sources of water damage, be sure to take the right precautions in preventing it from happening.
Common Signs of Water Damage
Unfortunately, water damage isn’t always obvious, so it’s important to know the signs so you can keep it from getting worse.
- Increasing Water Bill: High utility bills are a common first sign that a water leak may exist and you need to call a leak detection specialist. If you notice that your water bill has begun to increase over time, call a water removal company to determine whether or not your home has a leak.
- Loss of Pressure and/or Running Out of Hot Water: Loss of pressure and running out of hot water are two signs of underground water leaks or a water heater that is ready to go out. Standing water inside or in the yard can also be a sign of a water leak. If you have noticed one or more of these signs, itʼs important to act now.
- Water Rings or Sagging/Soft Areas: Water rings on your walls or ceilings or, worse, sagging spots on your ceiling, indicate a sign that there is water damage present in your home. More specifically, water rings can indicate a leak that has gone undetected.
- The Odor of Mildew or Mold: If you see or smell mold in your home or business, you should call for water restoration services immediately. Mold can spread very quickly if it’s not treated right away. If you see black mold, it is especially important to act fast. You should also call if you smell mildew because this can be indicative of water damage as well.
REMEMBER: You should call emergency water damage restoration services right away if you notice a leak or smell of mold in your home or business.
Some of these signs can also mean a longer timeline to finish the water damage cleanup services. For example, if you have mold buildup in your home then this adds to the restoration process.
Water Restoration Timeline
The time it takes for a water removal company to complete restoration services is dependent on the severity of the damage and the size of the area. These are not the only factors that determine the time it will take. Other factors include unexpected issues and the presence of mold or mildew. Read on to learn about these and how they affect the timeline of the project.
If unexpected issues arise, the cost can increase. For example, if the water damage is not as contained as the water removal company initially thought, it could end up costing more in the end. Additionally, it’s easy for the homeowner or business owner to underestimate the water damage. Your water removal company will do a thorough inspection and assessment to ensure that all the water damage is removed.
Size of the Affected Area
We have briefly touched on this as well. If the damaged area is large (i.e. a whole business or home), this can add to the timeline of the project.
Amount of Time Since Damage
When a significant amount of time has passed between the damage occurring and the restoration process, this can mean more time for cleaning up the water.
Presence of Mildew or Mold
As we previously mentioned, if mold is present, it means that there are additional services that have to be done which costs more money and takes more time to complete. Typically mold and mildew can be caused by water damage. So if you find the mold or mildew before you find the water damage, it’s imperative that you tell your water restoration company about it.
NOTE: Some of these are causes for emergency restoration services. If you have mold present or a leak that is still leaking, you should not hesitate to call a water removal company.
How Does the Water Damage Restoration Process Work?
Restoration services need to happen as soon as possible after the damage has occurred. There are certain steps that need to be taken during cleanup and restoration. While some processes may differ for each water damage restoration company, in general, the process is basically the same. Removing the water is the most important task, which is started right away after an assessment is complete.
Emergency restoration services can start as soon as you contact a water damage contractor. The first thing they will want to know is whether you need residential water damage restoration or commercial water damage restoration based on your situation. They will also want to know how the damage occurred; is this a flood restoration clean up or is the source of the damage from something else?
Prior to your contractor or restoration company’s arrival, they should try to guide you through turning off your water supply. This is important because it will prevent further water from entering your home and causing more damage. Quick action here can be the difference between losing valuables or not.
Here are the steps we take at Urgent Restoration.
STEP 1: Initial Contact
STEP 2: Inspection and Assessment
STEP 3: Water Removal and Extraction
STEP 4: Drying and Dehumidification
STEP 5: Cleaning and Sanitizing
Does Insurance Cover Water Damage Restoration?
In most cases, your insurance company will cover the cost of your restoration services. They will typically want to know what the source of the damage is and this will help them decide whether the damage is covered or not. Your insurance company can provide you with more in-depth and accurate information on the coverage for water or flood damage restoration.
Also, Urgent Restoration assists in filing documentation directly with your insurance company. This is another way we help remove the stress of water damage repair. We fully document the entire process to ensure your insurance claim is handled correctly and you have proper documentation.
So, Why Choose the Urgent Restoration of Lakeland?
You can trust us to get the job done quickly and effectively, removing any and all signs of water and water damage from your home or business. Our thorough process also helps to prevent any further damage from happening to your home.
Our team of experts knows how stressful it can be to deal with water restoration and emergency water clean-up. We want to help by taking away your stress and handling everything from the initial assessment to dealing with your insurance company.
We’re here to help with any emergency water damage restoration services in Lakeland, FL. We can help with clean up from leaking appliances, leaking and busted pipes, slab leaks, as well as storm and flood water damage. We enjoy working in our own communities and restoring people’s lives back to normal. Call us today for more information, or click here to schedule an assessment.
Aaron Iannuzzi is the owner of Urgent Restoration with over a decade of experience in the restoration industry. Aaron started Urgent Restoration in 2018 and has locations in Florida and Georgia. The company specializes in water damage restoration, mold remediation, fire remediation and more. Aaron and his team of experienced technicians are proud to serve their communities to restore their homes and businesses back to normal.